Saturday, November 25, 2006

Konigssee


Well, today is our last day here in Konigssee. This place is amazing. Konigssee is right next to a town called Berchtesgaden. It might sound familiar because it was in the TV show Band of Brothers and is home to Hitler’s Eagals Nest. The track is on the side of a mountain and it criss-crosses a stream heading down to a lake at the finish area. The track is in peoples back yards.... literaly and in some corners there are no inside walls, so you can actually walk into the track.
As for sliding, I had my first crash here this week. In fact there was 3 of them (3 consecutive runs) all in the same place and the last one I was dragging behind my sled with one finger hooked in, going through 3 corners. I burned through my suit and scrubbed a lot of time, however, I managed to pull my self back on and finish. I finally got the part figured out and the problem was due to a misunderstanding of the amont of steering input....... and maybe direction. It may not sound like much, but in skeleton when we go through corners we experience osillations. We go to the roof, back down, back up, back down.... The amount and number of oscillations are affected by the g-force, duration of the corner and speed. If you steer corectly you minimize the up-down, if not.... well. So I was steering up when I should have been steering down and the end result was a t-bone into the inside wall and then followed by a roll-over. But all is good, now we just have to do it better....
Today is an off day and it is into the city of Salzburg.... Tommarrow off to La Plagne, France. It is a very rare opportunity to get to slide there and even our coach has never been there.... so well see how she goes.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Sounds wicked fun!
You are really quite close to a few really cool french towns - try to get to Annecy if you can - spectular lake views...